Monday 9 April 2012

Surface Pattern: Can you help me decide - which colourway works for you?

 





To family, friends, pattern people, peers and followers

Above is the pattern motif I have been working on this morning. The motif is loosely based on a flower that was in a bunch that my Mum bought for me at the weekend. I have no idea what kind of flower it is so I have created my own take on it and I'm really happy with the result. The resulting pattern is really just a repeat of the motif as I wanted something bold.

I was inspired to create this design after seeing a skirt I liked yesterday. The colours were mustard, white and grey but the motif was uninspiring and the skirt was very expensive. So I decided to create my own pattern today and I will then be using Spoonflower to create my own fabric and sew my own skirt :o) I've been itching for years to make my own clothes as being petite nothing ever fits correctly and I like the idea of wearing my art.

I thought it would be a fun exercise to share this work in progress with you - would you like to help me? I have created x4 versions of the design above. The same, grey, slate, mustard and white colourways feature across the designs but I just can't decide which tones work best. If you like this pattern and have an opinion on which version works best please reply with either top-left, top-right, bottom-left or bottom-right on here, twitter of facebook

If you would like to start creating your own patterns and are not sure where to start, consider registering on the "Art & Business of Surface Pattern Design"  e-course as I did. If you're lucky you might even win a free scholarship if you sign up on the Print and Pattern Blog.

Thank you :o)

4 comments:

  1. They're all really nice but the bottom left is my favourite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bottom left is great, I like the contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone! Bottom-left or number 4. I've already ordered it from Spoonflower and I eagerly await its arrival :o) :o) :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lauren…
    Funny thing…
    I'm part of the amazing and Art & Business of Surface Pattern Design (module 1) too, and I was working on my online pattern catalog (since I haven't had the time yet to go around and find them and decided to start at Envelop.eu.
    The first pattern that attracted my attention was your Spring Daisy Duck Egg pillow case. I love the colors, and the shapes, and everything! I then went on to look at your entire shop, and found other nice patterns (as the Twilight Meadow), and finally finished looking at your blog (where I discovered you were part of the e-course too). Are you doing module 1 now, too? I really like your style and your illustrations. I'm going to look for you in Spoonflower too. I've been part of their community for almost 2 years, and I love it!!! It's nice to meet new designers.
    See your patterns around. Keep working 'cause you have a very nice style ^_^.

    ReplyDelete